Friday 4 January 2008

Party Toes And Pavlova

Ladies and gentlemen,
*
*
may I present,
for your admiration and astonishment,
my
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
foot:



Isn't it pretty?
This happened on a day of girly bonding with my sister. We also went op~shopping, post Christmas sales shopping and lunching, where we shared an enormous plate of lemon pepper calamari. Mmm mmm mmm.
Fun.

My butterfly embellished toes were supposed to have their debut at a New Years Eve party, but I didn't end up going ~ I find great big parties hard work (although I am always glad that my more extroverted friends invite me to them.) I had a small, family New Year instead. We drank champagne and sang Auld Lang Syne around the piano. It was nice.




In my last blog post I wrote about a pavlova I baked for Christmas and Lisamoon requested the recipe (and also said that she'd like to eat it face first, with no fork or spoon, which tickled me.)
Lisa, here it is:

Pavlova
Ingredients:
Meringue Base:
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup castor sugar
2 tsps cornflour
1 tsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
Topping:
300 ml whipping cream
3 very ripe passionfruit
strawberries
approximately 50 grams milk chocolate

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 C.
Beat egg whites and salt until peaks form. Add castor sugar gradually as meringue becomes shiny. Separately, mix cornflour with vinegar and vanilla essence, and then add to meringue until it disappears. "Stick" a circle of baking paper, with a few drops of water, onto a platter (a 30 cm quiche dish should do nicely.) Pile the mixture onto the circle, and smooth sides and top. Put into oven and reduce heat to 150 C. Cook for 80 minutes. Turn oven off and leave pavlova to cool inside.
An hour before serving, cover meringue with whipped cream, passionfruit pulp, strawberries and chocolate shavings. (I used a potato peeler to shave the chocolate.) Putting the topping on well before eating lets the flavours of the fruit develop and also lets the cream soak into the meringue directly beneath it, making it soft and voluptuous.

This is all in Australian cooking terminology. If this presents problems please let me know or you might like to check out this conversion chart. I'd love to know if anyone has a go!

6 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Happy New Year! Your toes look divine!

Indigo Blue said...

Your toes look lovely!! So it's open toed shoes from now on then as those feet need to be shown off. I had a pedicure voucher and it was brill so my feet are also on my blog ha ha, mad are we not, but it is fun.
Happy New Year to you.

Ang said...

Your toes look beautiful. I meant to get the henna paste out with my sister, but we didn't get around to it!

Anonymous said...

Love your toes!
I am persevering with trying to leave a message.
Felicity

knightlyknitter.wordpress.com said...

I hope that you had a fabulous New Year's Eve, and it looks like you certainly had a lovely Christmas!
I am semi-outing myself here - your tea-cosy package should go in the mail tomorrow - I am so sorry to have made you wait (and wait!). It will probably take a week to arrive, me being on the far side of the country and all. I won't blather on about it now though - once it's properly away, may I contact you via Ravelry?
Have a wonderful Sunday afternoon!
Kate

alison said...

Thanks so much for my lovely teacosy and your generous gifts. I was so excited I squealed.

And your toenails look faaaabulous darling! :)